Help an elderly Filipino couple recover from a racist attack
On February 1, Nicanor and Julienne Arriola were brutally attacked in front of the California State Capitol by a man who then fled in a getaway car driven by an accomplice. Because of their severe wounds, including Nicanor’s six broken ribs and Julienne’s injured knees, neither of the married couple has been able to earn an income as caregivers ever since (as of this writing on March 16).
Some members of NAFCON personally know Nicanor, who is also a photojournalist who has been diligently covering the ongoing case of the Roque family, survivors of a high profile racist attack and whom NAFCON organizations have closely supported. We are shocked to learn that Nicanor, who has been a big support to the the Roque family, became a victim himself.
Nicanor and Julienne are not only healing from physical wounds but are recovering from severe trauma. They are dreading the arrival of medical bills, which they will need community support with as their injuries have prevented them from working.
We turn to the community for help and solidarity with Nicanor and Julienne.
This fundraiser is being hosted by National Alliance for Filipino Concerns (NAFCON) member organizations, LA Kalusugan Collective (LAKAS) and the Filipino Migrant Center.
Please go here to make a donation to support the Arriolas – show you friends the QR code:
April 10, 2023 UPDATE: Attacker of Fil-Am photojournalist to face California court
One of two suspects who allegedly assaulted photojournalist Nicanor Arriola and his wife faces three counts of felony
LOS ANGELES, USA – The Sacramento District Attorney filed three counts of felony against one of the two suspects in the assault of a Los Angeles-based Filipino photojournalist and his wife while they were strolling in broad daylight at the Sacramento state capitol grounds in February this year.
Suspect Keylen Xavier Lee Farley was arraigned last March 15 before the Department 62 of the Sacramento Superior Court following an investigation which led to his arrest and the subsequent filing of felony charges by Deputy District Attorney Casey Newton. Farley is detained at the Sacramento County Main Jail.
Farley is also expected to appear in a scheduled mandatory settlement of the case on Monday where he will face for the first time after the assault his victims Nicanor Arriola of the Philippine Post and Weekend Balita, and his wife Julienne Ochengco. The couple only learned of the formal charges and updates on the case last week.
“It is like having a double injury,” Arriola said, because aside from the physical abuse, there was abuse of the system which, at this point has failed them. It was learned that Newton had filed the case on March 8, 2023, but when Arriola talked on March 14 to the detective of the Sacramento Police Department handling the case, he was told that he cannot reveal the name of the suspect because the case was under investigation.